Watermelon Sorbet



I can't believe it's already October. Where has the summer (and the year) gone?

I thought I was doing a great job of keeping up this blog during the past year since joining Secret Recipe Club. It has been difficult to get back into the swing of things since getting back from vacation, and for that I do apologize. I'm realizing now that I had a good many photos/recipes logged in drafts from before vacation, so I'm trying to get caught up with those at the moment. It's bad because I have to remember the recipe so long after, but good because it gives you a little taste of something beautiful as the seasons change (in this case, the long-gone watermelon)

This weekend it was 41 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday night. My husband and I were both surprised when we stepped outside to feel the chill and not remember where we had stored most of our winter clothes (we have not even unpacked them yet). Today it was back up to 75, but I'm not looking forward to how the weather will change in a couple weeks.

If you can still find watermelon in your local markets, you should really take advantage of it while it's there. This is a great way to use scrapings or mushy bits from your watermelon (or the edge waste you get from melon balls). The texture is more icy like a granita (probably because of the lower sugar ratio in the simple syrup), but still delicious. This was the first watermelon thing I've ever had that tasted like real watermelon and not like a jolly rancher.

Watermelon Sorbet (for a 2 quart ice cream machine)

Ingredients

  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups seeded chopped watermelon
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
Directions
  1. Heat water and sugar in a pot to create a syrup
  2. Pour syrup and watermelon in a blender or food processor. blend until smooth and add lime juice. Chill at least 2 hours
  3. Pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer directions.

Comments